Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Quitting Is Not An Option

My apologies to all the lovely people who have commented on my blog in the last few days for whom I've not had a chance to reciprocate. I'm trying to follow more blogs and discover more voices.

I want to swim in the bloggersphere, not to sink.

And if I had my way, I'd have all the time I want to read blogs and get to know more people through their writing. But I came home from work on Monday and Tuesday utterly exhausted.

A lot has happened in the last few years. Good and bad. My children are stabilized and that's good. I have a full time job... also good. My ex no longer has to pay alimony, which means I feel less connected to him. That is so incredibly good!

But what's not good is that my job (which I mostly love) can be extremely draining on some days. And I never know when. 

I'm a first year special education teacher. There are many things I had expected going into this profession, like the paperwork that everyone warned me about and the inability to please everyone. 

I knew the children would have challenges and that I didn't have a magic wand to make those challenges disappear, but I love people. And I work hard. 

Some days are just more difficult than others. 

I am gobsmacked by the unpredictable and dangerous behaviors some of the kiddos on my caseload attempt at least once or twice a week. 

Generally speaking, I believe in inclusion. But when a student is a flight risk, why is he in a general education classroom? He can leave whenever he darn well pleases, and then I have to call for backup to chase him down before he escapes the building. 

If this happens once or twice, I understand. Children make mistakes, they have moments. Certainly, if the escape is prompted by a meltdown, that's something to consider. But this has turned into a regular event. And this child doesn't have meltdowns. 

So anyway, getting back to the theme of this blog post,  I'm not a quitter. Nor do I plan on quitting in terms of keeping up with the comments on this blog. So if you've left a comment for me and have since given up on me coming around to visit your blog, please don't. 

I will take the time to read everyone's stuff. It just might take a bit longer than anticipated. 


17 comments:

  1. I taught a special needs Sunday School class for a time, and I get what you're saying. Just two hours a week of teaching those sweet little spirits was enough to exhaust me for the rest of the day. I can't imagine doing it all day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughters both have special needs whom I homeschool. We partnered with the school district for the younger one since she had some rather significant learning disabilities, developmental delays, and speech challenges. At any rate, each time I would go to drop her off/pick her up, I was always impressed with the patience and compassion of the Special Education Director and para-professionals. Having a group of students with a range of needs was certainly challenging. They would be able to keep the children engaged with their work. The kids always seemed happy to be there and respectful of the teacher. I could tell, though, that some days were definitely more difficult than others for the teachers. You are doing very important work and making a difference in the lives of children!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly aren't a quitter. I hope things get easier at your job. I know teaching can be soooo physically draining. As my french friend says, Courage.
    http://www.kalpanaawrites.com/quandary/
    quandary #Kalpanaawrites

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got utmost admiration for anyone who does what you do - having been a parent of a child with a disability, I realise just how demanding it can be. I hope you are still enjoying the Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire your attitude towards life and wish you all the very best. After all , winners never quit. That child with a tendency to run away must have deeper issues on his personal front. I send prayers for him. He is lucky to have you as his teacher.
    Love,
    Moon
    https://aslifehappens60.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Admire the fighter in you! And going by what you have narrated, can see that life is really in the busy lane for you...good all though!
    As for keeping up with the visitors like us, don't worry...all will always come back..and that the magnetic pull of your writing!
    And wish you calmer days ahead!
    ------------------------------------------------
    Anagha From Team MocktailMommies
    Collage Of Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. Respects to you. It was a beautiful read I thought

    A Peice Of My Life

    ReplyDelete
  8. I taught at a special needs school as a locum for a term a few years back. I know how draining it can be. You manage to write lovely posts though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a tough job you do, I have family who work with kids with special needs and they can be everything from chilled to attacking the world with a large pointy stick, or attacking themselves.

    As for getting to visit everyone all you can do is your best. I used to blog every day but that eats a lot of time so I am hoping to make it to the end of the A to Z. But I have projects in the real world I am working on so after that It will be erratic again I might try and post once a week. I am usually Ok at doing what I say as long as I remember what I said.

    Life is a rollercoaster and an unpredictable one at that, I am glad to see life is now a lot better for you and the kids . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a wonderful post, thankyou for sharing your thoughts. It sounds like you do have a difficult and demanding job. I also work full time and struggle to keep up with comments and other blogs. If you have time please check out my Q post on Milly's Guide, I think you would like it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did a bunch of school visits when my chapter book series debuts and I was amazed at how much it exhausted me...even if I only did two or three hours! I was drained the rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wrote about “quitting” today, too. Your job sounds exhausting. I hope everybody understands that blogging is a hobby, and sometimes it’s hard to keep up with comments.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  13. From one teacher to another, the job is demanding but the rewards are great. I know the feeling.
    It takes an extra-special teacher to work with kids who have special needs.
    Well done!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good job with not quitting, even when times get hard. And good job with stepping out to discover other blogs. I know what it's like to get behind on answering comments - I've gotten really far behind at times, too.

    Visiting from the A to Z Challenge. You can see my "Q" post here: https://lydiahowe.com/2017/04/20/q-is-for-questions-atozchallenge-also-time-for-yall-to-ask-questions/

    ReplyDelete
  15. No rush. Do what you can do and don't feel too guilty over the things you can't. A juggler doesn't throw in every ball he owns into the circle. He only juggles what he can handle. All the other balls sit on the ground and wait their turn.

    Her Grace, Heidi from Romance Spinners

    ReplyDelete
  16. You can't do it all is true. The A to Z always leaves me with some progress in my writing. I don't expect it but it happens. So stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Working outside the home and raising kids as a single parent is hard work. I can't imagine! Just get to the comments when you can. Bloggers are pretty understanding people. Enjoy the friendship in this close knit community! :)

    ReplyDelete

When Reality Sinks In

I am average--5'6" with a medium build, slightly ruddy skin tone, my hair neither brown nor blond. My IQ hovers somewhere between 1...