Monday, April 24, 2017

Underestimating The Price

Children's activities are expensive.

Just thought I'd put that out there.

I'm in the process of paying for a camp for my oldest son that's about $2000. The Tae Kwon Do place where I send my youngest son after school is over $400 a month, and I feel like there's not enough mac & cheese and hot dogs in the world to keep my budget afloat.

I want to give my kids what they need to succeed, but I'm scared I'm running out of money. It will be better this summer because I'll get a break from paying after school care. It will also be better in a year when my youngest son reaches middle school age. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but some days it looks endlessly far off. Like today.

What if the darkness in the tunnel grows so thick that I get lost?

What if there's another tunnel at the end of this one that never ends?

Does anyone else feel like this?

Please tell me it gets easier.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure being a parent ever gets easier, but it does..eventually...get less expensive. Hang in there, I know exactly how you're feeling right now and you'll be okay.

    Untamed

    ReplyDelete
  2. The expenses you list are enough to sink any budget. The most disheartening part is that we are always looking to the future where we imagine things will be better, when it would be wonderful to be able to enjoy each day without the pressures and worries inherent in our daily lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes things do get better in some ways but you NEVER stop being a parent and wanting to help your child - we find ourselves in a position of helping our first born buy their first house and that does NOT come cheap but obviously we want to help them and will therefore be also helping our DD when it becomes her turn too - so a lot of money but you do what you can :)
    Is their father paying his share or is it all on your shoulders?
    http://pempispalace.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/u-is-for-uniformity.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was so many things we wanted to do for our kids but couldn't afford, so we just encouraged them with their interests that came naturally - writing and drawing.

    I'm not saying for you to not do it but if you can't afford putting them in these things then don't sweat it because they will grow up to be well adjusted kids without these things.

    I believe our society places a lot of pressure on parents to do this, that, and the other making them feel guilty by thinking their kids are going to be left behind when in fact many times kids actually get stressed for being on the go all the time and just want time at home either alone or with mom or dad. Best of luck to ya!

    Art Sketching Through the Alphabet "U" (Unicorn)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Juggling bills is never fun. Sometimes you have to cut things from your budget. Being overspent is not a good thing.

    ReplyDelete

When Reality Sinks In

I am average--5'6" with a medium build, slightly ruddy skin tone, my hair neither brown nor blond. My IQ hovers somewhere between 1...